Just some thoughts and ideas going around in my head while trying to figure out where I am and where everyone else is going.

Friday, January 15, 2010

Teddy

The important and responsible thing for me to do would be say something about the huge amount of lives lost in Haiti from the recent earthquake and the possible further hardships that state will face, I should but I won't. I had wanted to write something about communication and the late night NBC TV debacle here in the States. In fact I've written about half of it but I think it needs to be heavily edited and taken in a different direction even before it's finished. Instead I will write about neither one of them because Philadelphia's own Teddy is gone.

It's not that the life of Teddy Pendergrass will ever be considered that important in the grand scheme of things but I've written about him before because it was Teddy that I fell in love with. I'm not talking about a physical love that you have with someone, although I'm sure that for a lot of people that wouldn't have been a bad thing; I'm talking about that scary stalker kind of love where I didn't want to have Teddy Pendergrass, I wanted to be Teddy Pendergrass. I wanted to be drop dead gorgeous and have women who would drop their draws and feel moist between their legs at the first sound of my voice like they did for him. I wanted to have the same animal power and attraction that he had that would make other men walk away with their manhoods cheapened and shrunken, or engorged and maybe wanting to drop their draws too depending on their needs, because he was more man than they were. I wanted to look like him, I wanted to be him.

Truth be told, I was in North Jersey when I really became aware of Teddy Pendergrass. For just a short time from when he sang the duet with East Orange's Whitney Houston who everybody said was gay, and the car accident that would cripple him at 32 for the rest of his life, I took notice of him and realized that he used to be the lead singer of Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes, he was the sexy one with the voice. And now he's gone.

I guess that's the way of all things. Eventually everything and everyone will die if only to make room for others. With all the things that are going on in the world it's probably not that important that Teddy is no longer here except in that Disney "Circle of Life" kind of way but I'm glad I was a around for just a brief part of his career and his life after it because...because he brought me joy.





5 comments:

  1. i don't much about Teddy but the videos on your post show his huge talent - singer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every death is a tragedy in absolute terms, regardless of how many people are dying too.

    RIP Teddy.

    Very sensitive post, buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a sensitive post, one of genuine reflection. Death is something wild. RIP Teddy Pendergrass

    ReplyDelete
  4. corvedacosta - I didn't know much about The Sound of Philadelphia until about the 90's even though it had dictated what R&B music was in the 70's. Teddy was part of that and even though he may not have been the architect, he was certainly the voice of R&B that everyone competed with.


    Eduardo - I'm sure that if Teddy were here still, he would thank you for that.


    ♫Hershey's Kiss♫ - Death is something that will happen to us all and is just part of our journey to something else. I just reflected on his impact on my journey. And yes if there is such a thing as resting in peace, I hope he gets to do it without being in that damned wheelchair anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teddy was an icon. Teddy Pendergrass's voice rang through on many a radio station back in the day, I can remember the STR8 clubs playing it, then all of a sudden his music was being put to dance tracks in the gay clubs.

    Teddy paid his dues and now he will rest in peace. In life the things we love we shall one day lose.

    ReplyDelete

Did you like or dislike what you just read? Go ahead, tell me why. All comments are welcome here, good or bad let's both open up and discuss our differences or our similarities.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Google Analytics Tracking Code