Just some thoughts and ideas going around in my head while trying to figure out where I am and where everyone else is going.

Monday, September 7, 2009

The 1st Philly Naked Bike Ride

philly naked bike ride
I guess I have to set this up for a lot of people to understand this, but there used to be this British actress with the name of Googie Withers. She may have been big around the 40's or 50's, I'm not sure, but I came to know her in the 70's when she did a TV show called Prisoners of Cell Block H or something like that. You know, the type of show that was popular around that time. A show about life in a woman's prison where they show all the dirt and the power struggles and the latent lesbianism of those who have turned to the other side of the law.

Anyway, there were two comedians who were telling a joke and one of them said, something something, blah blah blah, Googie Withers. I remember the second one asked, "Who's Googie Withers?" The first comedian, turned and looked at him and replied, "Mine does when there's a cold wind." I bring that up because this Labor Day weekend was Philadelphia's first Naked Bike Ride.

Apparently the World Naked Bike Ride is an organization that has set up bike rides in many cities around the world in an effort to bring awareness to safety issues concerning the bike riding community and also the over indulgence in fossil fuel consumption and the environmental damages caused by it and by the use the combustion engine. And as everyone knows, sex sells, so what better way is there to make a point than by doing it nude? But since I'm really not that much of an exhibitionist, I only get nude when everyone else is nude, and since it is September with a slight chill in the air, I didn't want to see my googie wither. So here are some pictures of about a thousand braver souls than me.

philly naked bike ride

philly naked bike ride
philly naked bike ride
philly naked bike ride
philly naked bike ride
philly naked bike ride
philly naked bike ride
philly naked bike ride
philly naked bike ride
philly naked bike ride
philly naked bike ride

philly naked bike ride
philly naked bike ride





9 comments:

  1. What a great way to bring awareness to the people, I am very surprised that the liberal folks here in Madison haven't partaken in the annual event, good thing too because my googie withers at the mere thought of all that nudity in the streets, well that all depends on how many brothas would strip down and ride (their bikes). I see you decided to be a spectator instead of a participator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chet - Unfortunately brothas generally don't strip down in front of people, at least not in any great numbers and you should be grateful for that too. That last thing that you would need to do is to appreciate their glory by showing your one eyed salute and a picture of that being spread all over the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. look, now this is the second time when you have gone/participated in something that I would of been interested in doing! hello! I am only like 5 exits up from you on the turnpike. Don't make me take my belt out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn, I think my ex is in one of those pics! Cold air has nothing to do with it - it was always withered. Hee hee... : )

    Looks like a fun event, are you ever going to participate?

    ReplyDelete
  5. fuzzy - Now daddy, please don't take the belt off. I'm not sure that i could take the excitement.


    KST - LOL, I would hate to get on the bad side of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmk, sometimes the imagination is soooo much better than the reality!

    And really... my naked girls parts all over the bike seat... I'm thinking that's so not ok, not to mention very likely uncomfortable.

    Missed you - smooches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the 2nd to the last pic...white dude by the blue dude with orange hair...altho...if he had on some speedos...I might be more inclined to come to PA and walk the streets screaming for him...whatever his name is.

    Hi Cuuuurious *batting eyelashed*

    ReplyDelete
  8. RunningMom - I thought you had run off with some oil sheik somewhere. Actually one of the reasons for getting naked is for body acceptance, for those around you as well for yourself. As for being comfortable on a bike seat, no matter what you wear I doubt that you will ever find comfort.


    Blah Blah Blah - You like him because he has that Wolverine look and the tattoos make him look even more dangerous

    ReplyDelete
  9. eeeewwwwww......to each his/her own i guess.

    Yuck, now you know you won't be burrowing a bike from any of those participants.

    ReplyDelete

Did you like or dislike what you just read? Go ahead, tell me why. All comments are welcome here, good or bad let's both open up and discuss our differences or our similarities.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Google Analytics Tracking Code