Just some thoughts and ideas going around in my head while trying to figure out where I am and where everyone else is going.

Friday, October 2, 2009

Brush up your Shakespeare

As Hamlet once said,

“What a piece of work is a man, how noble in reason, how
infinite in faculties, in form and moving how express and
admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like
a god! the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals—and yet…”

And yet I’m sick and I the romance of being a man and being on top of the evolutionary scale doesn’t thrill me at all. My nose is stuffed and my head feels heavy. My throat hurts and my chest rattles each time I cough and I feel like absolute shit. I might soon have to take some sort of medication which I’m always against since medication really doesn’t do anything for a cold except hide the symptoms. And yes, it is a cold and not “swine flu” or anything just as sexy although it might as well have been since I am so miserable.

In fact if I had a few night sweats and some chills and aching bones I would be able to justify the way that I feel, but I don’t. All I can say is, or at least ask about is what happened to those days when I was young and I could go about with snot flying about like a leaky and disgusting faucet, not giving a damn about anything and secretly hoping that mother wouldn’t make a bad situation worse by slapping on the Vicks Vapor Rub on my chest as if she anointing me so I could meet the maker. But those days are gone, now everything seems to hurt just a little bit more than it used to. I really must learn to look after myself and get more than 6 hours of sleep at night and control the eating and the drinking and the smoking thing. I think it was Bette Davis who said old age ain't for sissies. How right she was.

This was the point where I was going to put a video from Kiss Me Kate. About brushing up your Shakespeare and link it to the beginning somehow, but my mind is wandering and all I can think about is or are my school days. So if you don’t mind I'll keep the title and ask you not worry about the wrong gender thing that's coming because it has nothing to do with what you just read, but and here’s my man Sidney being sung about at the Victoria & Albert in London I think.

12 comments:

  1. Hey get better soon! I loved Vips Vapor Rub as a kid, I must admit... And thanks for sharing the song, I only knew the Vonda Shepard cover for Ally McBeal but this sounds so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww man, I hope you feel better...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pleased that you were paying close attention in school and that you are now well versed in Hamlet to the point you can quote him.

    Sorry to hear that you are under the weather with a cold, Boo Boo you know that you should have been taking better care of yourself. Where is that knit hat and scarf? Seriously it is best that you get your seasonal cold/influenza now instead of deep winter when it is even harder to battle such a cold. I agree meds are not to be taken until absolutely necessary.

    Now you're quoting Bette Davis "Old age isn't for sissies." Don't worry you are not old nor a sissy.

    To Sir with love; how can I thank you for taking me from crayons to perfume? Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww I pray you feel better. rest and drink plenty of fluids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get better soon man...and drink alot of fluids...no pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I'm late...Hope you feel better and are warm snuggly, have a mug of hot cider and a good book. And meds. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. So...I did all that the previous commentors told you to do...and I am still coughing up a lung.

    ...it bothers me when someone says "feel better"...as if I decided I wanted to "feel miserable" on my own.

    Umm, ... feel better suga smacks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eduardo - I have a friend who would just collapse if he knew that there were people out there that didn't know Lulu's original version of To Sir With Love.


    fuzzy - I was getting better until Monday came around. I wonder if it's psychological?


    Chet - School had nothing to do with it. I heard that quote from Jean-Luc Picard on Star Trek and have been using it since. In fact I would recommend Star Trek for all those who believe they squandered their education in the classics.


    ♫Hershey's Kiss♫ - That's exactly what I did. How dull is that?


    Cincinnati NAMjA - Again with the fluids. Sad thing is, I tell that to everyone but hate doing it myself.


    KST - That sounds so restful and relaxing, but you know as a man not something that I can fall into easily.


    Blah Blah Blah - Coughing up a lung? That's not good although strangely satisfying when you get the result that you're looking for. Hmmm!! Feeling better already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man is not necessarily at the top of the evolutionary scale. In fact, the scale isn't really an up-down thing, more like a tree. Observe, below (part 1 of 5): -

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MW1IZB9ThA&feature=PlayList&p=1F24A7EDFE04320E&index=0

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sanya - Alright, I'm not going to argue with Darwin, Attenborough and you, at least not today. Would you accept then that man is at least at the top of the food chain?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes - after all, we have our wits; and failing that, we have our guns.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Did you like or dislike what you just read? Go ahead, tell me why. All comments are welcome here, good or bad let's both open up and discuss our differences or our similarities.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Google Analytics Tracking Code